St. Pat’s Day has always been something of a conundrum for me, mainly because there are no presents involved (at least as far as I know), it’s not a day off from school or work, and green is SO not my color. So how do we celebrate this auspicious-yet-kinda-confusing-day-that’s-a-holiday-but-also-what? Below are some fun ideas to make this day super special!
1. Practice your Irish brogue. Subways, shops, restaurants, and other public places are perfect for practicing that lovely Irish lilt to your voice. Whimsical and mysterious? Sure you are, and solidifying your Irish inflections is the best way to show that! Try playing around with key phrases such as “Top o’ the mornin’ to ya, laddie!” or asking the nearest attendant where the “jacks” are located (jacks = bathrooms). For inspiration, I would recommend a quick trip down memory lane watching Disney’s 2001 gem of a film, The Luck of the Irish; after I watched it, I literally could not stop saying “you can take me olives, but you cannae take me freedom!”–my mom said I nailed it.
2. …or your Gaelic. Mastered the brogue and feeling ambitious? Go 2-for-2 with mastering the native Irish tongue, full-throttle. There’s been a huge uptick over the past several years of native Gaelic speakers, so who knows–you could find a kind, willing soul to teach you the basics or just, like, Rosetta Stone it.
3. Enjoy some Irish cuisine. If you’re feeling super-lame (and super starchy!), you can bake up some potatoes and call it a day. Or, you can indulge in some hearty, homemade Irish dishes, such as Irish Lamb Stew, Shepherd’s Pie, Irish Soda Bread, and for dessert? A Lime-Pistachio Tart, duh. Soo Irish.
4. Drink green juice. If you’re not in the mood to feast, at the very least you can celebrate your inner shamrock by whipping up a green drink!
5. Or just DRINK! Get out of the house and get to your nearest neighborhood Irish pub, which will (I guarantee you) exist, if you look hard enough, and celebrate the day in style. Make sure to order at least one Guinness and Murphy’s–it’s a holiday, people.
6. Befriend a Leprechaun. This is probably something you won’t get to until you’ve had at least a Guinness or five, but it really doesn’t require further explanation. It’s just something you need to do.
So there you have it–a healthy, hearty, happy St. Patty’s Day to all!